Mr. Meangenes looked a bit worse-for-wear when he joined me on the patio for coffee break this morning. Well, I was drinking coffee,and his beverage was in a paper bag - but we're pretty casual about such things around here.
"Phew !", he sighed, settling into a chair. " I had a bad dream last night : so bad it woke me up ; and I had the Devil's own time getting back to sleep !"
"You want some coffee ? It's a fresh pot ."
"Nah. I'll stick with this. Easier on the old kidneys."
"So: You had a dream ? What was it about ? "
Meangenes shifted uncomfortably. " I dreamed that guy Paul got elected President."
" Paul ? You mean Ru Paul, the Black transgendered...person ? Wow ! No wonder you had trouble getting back to ..."
"No,no no ! Not that Paul !! I'm talking about Ron Paul - a Congressman from Texas."
"Hmm... Think I've heard of him. He's a retired doctor or something, isn't he ?"
" An obstretrician, I believe. Fine reputation as a doctor, but kind of ...strange as a politician. He's a Libertarian - more like a "Super-tarian" , who ran as a Republican so the Faithful in Texas would vote for him , and who associates himself with the "9/11 Truther" bunch."
"He announced his candidacy for President, and has actually won a lot of the little straw polls : pretty good for a fellow that voted against every single bill proposed in Congress last year ! He said they were all unconstitutional ."
I raised my eyebrows and took a sip of coffee. Nothing like a nice hot cup of coffee on a cool last-day-of-summer morning !
Mr. Meangenes lifted his beverage , and took a little taste. It didn't smell much like coffee to me ; but at his age ? Who cares ?
" Imagine," he said, smacking his lips appreciatively." Imagine what would happen if someone like that got elected President. I'm thinking he would try to turn the calendar back to 1812, or thereabouts. Let's see:
- He'd probably call all troops-anywhere in the world-home ...and then fire them,so there would be no "standing army".
- He'd make our Embassies fire all their staff,because there's nothing in the Constitution that says Ambassadors can have staff.
- He'd be tempted to fire almost everybody in the Federal government that couldn't produce constitutional justification for his particular job - but, to avoid internal dissent,would probably settle for eliminating the Income tax,and most other Federal levies.
- He'd order the Borders sealed,and all immigrants expelled;but,because there would be no tax money to accomplish this, and because everyone had gone home in disgust,the orders would be ignored.
- In the end, the Mexican Army would send up 3 enlisted men and a junior non-commissioned officer - probably a Corporal - to accept his surrender. The 9/11 "Truthers" he had surrounded himself with would have slipped out the back door,and the surrender would be accomplished without a shot being fired."
Mr. Meangenes took a very,very long sip of whatever he had in the bag.
For a moment, I felt like joining him ; but decided to stick with my coffee. The American People would never be so foolish as to elect somebody like Ron Paul...........................................would they ???